02 June 2012

Life without a car

I don't own a car. I'm fortunate to live in a part of the country when it's not needed, but there are times when I would like to have some space on wheels for kids, groceries or equipment for outings. The classic solution in Denmark - and quite common these days here on the other side of the sound too - is a bike with a box. A while ago I started looking in to various brands and models and I keep coming back to the same manufacturer; Gamla Enskede Cyklar. The bikes are really nice and I can't help being charmed by their care for hedgehogs.

I always envisioned getting a three-wheeler but I have changed opinion lately. I have spoken to two-wheel owners and taken a closer look at the ones in the neighbourhood and they are pretty nifty. They are more manoeuvrable than the three-wheelers and since I only have one child that age it would definitely suffice.


There are two sizes but I would opt for the longer one to get that all important storage space. I also like the fact that the box on these bikes can be lacquered instead of having the plywood hidden under paint. I happen to like plywood.

Now I only need a job in winter so I can get one.


Doesn't it make you want to get one?

No comments: